6.05.2007

Catching Up

Yes, I know I’ve been gone. Something major happened, but not something I wanted to discuss via the internet yet. It has become all consuming and the center of my life. No, I haven’t joined Scientology. But before we get into that, a brief recap of what’s been happening for the last three months or however long it’s been since I last blogged.

The move went fine. I ended up sick the Saturday of the move, but the firm had sent enough people out to help that nary a step was missed. I came into work on Sunday to unpack my personal crap and by Monday everything was up and for the most part running smoothly. That was the least stressful move ever. Yay, firm!

I’m sure there were some funny computer user stories in there somewhere, but silly me didn’t think to write about them at the time and my memory just ain’t what it used to be.

I had a birthday in there somewhere and celebrated with lovely friends and family repeatedly. BirthDAY, my butt…try birthMONTH! Party on, Wayne.

I had a car accident. More like I was a victim of yet another stupid driver in Hawaii. I have a Honda CR-V and the offender had a Toyota Yaris (read: no bigger than a breadbox). Somehow she didn’t see me signaling to change lanes, and after I was already more than 50% into my new lane, sideswiped and slid down the length of the passenger side of my car. Nice. She then proceeded to get out of her car complaining of wrist pain. If I had my way, that would have been the least of her worries. I played along and called the cops and acted nice. The insurance companies decided we were equally at fault. Somehow I ended up making money out of the deal. I’d tell you how, but I don’t want to be investigated for insurance fraud. Deep down I blame this incident on my husband. He decided to change the theater we were supposed to meet up at after work and neglected to inform me. Lured by the thought of big sweaty muscled men in leather underwears, I was driving a bit fast (we were going to see “300”). It took two trips to the body shop, but now my car is back to its former glory.

We just got back from the mainland. We managed (or I did, I left almost a week before hubby did) to visit six cities in two states in two weeks. WTH. I don’t know why they call it vacation. You’re busy as hell but you just don’t go to work. I think I’ve pretty much recovered from the trip, but only time will tell.

On a flight from Honolulu to LA, I sat next to an 8 year old girl and her 12 year old brother. She wasn’t too much of a bother, at least not to me. The woman in the seat in front of her may have a different opinion. Anyway, she was talking to her brother…

Girl: “I just don’t understand why there are so many terrorists in Hawaii.”
Brother: *blink blink* … *blank stare*… “Do you mean tourists?”
Girl, with a wave of her hand: “Terrorists, tourists…whatever.”

About half an hour later…
Girl: “Are we taking the space shuttle home from the airport?”
Brother: *blink blink* “Do you mean the Super Shuttle?”
Girl: “Space shuttle, Super shuttle…whatever.”

Pesky words.

So, you’re probably wondering what all that mumbo jumbo at the beginning of this entry was about. Now that all the friends, family and coworkers know (not that coworkers know about this blog…I’d like to keep my job), I guess I can put it out there in cyberspace. I’m pregnant. And yesterday we found out that we’re having a little girl. I’m due November 13th, so as of today I am 17 weeks along. The pregnancy has been quite interesting, seeing as I’ve never done this before and had no clue what I was getting myself into. I won’t bore you with the first trimester slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Suffice it to say I am so very glad to be in my second trimester and returning to some semblance of normalcy, if you don’t count the expanding waistline and new wardrobe.I have a friend who is also pregnant right now. She’s about a week behind me, but she's done this before. I think she repressed it though, because she asks me questions.

I’m an information gatherer and avid researcher, so my doctors (I have about half a dozen of them right now as I am considered a high risk pregnancy – they aren’t all pregnancy related, though) don’t really know what to make of me. I think they wonder why I even bother coming in to see them. I answer my own questions or ask them questions I already have the answers to, just to see if they agree with me.

Now you are up to date. I’ve been asked to keep better blogging habits and now that we’re all on the same page, I’ll do that. I’ll try not to bore you to tears with the minutiae of pregnancy, but it will be difficult since that seems to be the center of my universe right now. I will promise to leave out references to bodily functions (or at least veil them as much as possible, unless it’s funnier not to). I’ll think about posting some ultrasound pictures. Generally speaking, they freak me out.

Speaking of ultrasounds, I gave the u/s technician a hard time yesterday while we were trying to determine the gender of the baby. Of course, the baby wasn’t cooperating. It’s facing inward, kept moving around and had its little bitty legs crossed. Finally, the tech said it’s a girl, to which I replied, “The absence of a penis does not necessarily mean it’s a girl. I want to see her girl parts before I believe you.” She showed me the girl parts and even marked them with an arrow.





Besides, have you ever seen baby boy testicles?? They are HUGE. Very hard to miss.

2 comments:

InkyW said...

First off, sorry about the accident, glad you and Tuaca are okay now :)

Secondly, GIRL!! yay, no penises..penii, boy parts, whatev!!

girlies...ohhh, pink skull onesies and many foofie items!! woohooo, auntie inky!!

Anonymous said...

It's not too early to teach your daughter to sit with her legs crossed. Especially when there's a camera around.

Love,
Britney