Our office is about to embark on a relocation...a whopping three blocks away. Distance doesn't really matter when you move, does it? Any moving sucks.
Unlike the office move I had to do pretty much by myself at my previous company, the firm is flying out no less than a dozen people to assist. Some of these people are on the office admin side and some are on the technology side. They started arriving today.
Our first visitor is with the VoIP phone company that we use. He showed up, the receptionist instant messaged me to let me know he was here and I went out and introduced myself. We chit chatted and then I took him over to the new building, thinking the project manager was there. He wasn't. So we walked back in the rain. Upon our arrival at the old office, we decided to set him up in the conference room so he could get some work done while waiting for the project manager to show up.
He started stammering on and on about our proxies and firewalls (the software/hardware that controls your ability to reach the internet) and how his laptop is new and had never been in one of our offices. Could I go ask one of the guys in IT what the proxy settings are so he could remote into his company's network?
Did you read that last sentence carefully?
Being the effective (!) communicator that I am, I reiterated his request back to him to be sure we were on the same page.
He replied, "Yes, just go ask one of the guys in IT for the utility or what the proxy settings are. They'll know what I'm talking about. Just ask one of the guys in IT."
I stood there looking at him (again with the "you just arrived here from Mars look") and said:
"I AM the guy in IT."
3.21.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i would have given anything to be a fly on that wall!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Did he ask you to fetch him some coffee too?
How is your Dad doing now? Email me and let me know.
I think I wrote your email address wrong, so if you write me I can save it again. How long does it actually take to master email, really, seriously how long.
I really hope that you all are doing ok.
Post a Comment