About a month ago, as DH (dear husband) and I lay in bed reading baby books, he turned to me and said, "I think you're anemic."
"Why?" I asked him, wondering if my hypochondriacal tendencies had rubbed off on him.
"Your nail beds are purple."
"Umm hmmm," I said, basically blowing him off.
From time to time he'd check my nail beds when he thought I wasn't looking. I really wasn't paying any attention to him, being diverted by more pressing issues like not sleeping, pregnesia, and worrying about getting butt grapes.
This past Saturday, I went in for my Glucose screening. It basically consists of drinking what I had heard was a nasty concoction, sitting around the waiting room for an hour and getting blood drawn at the end of the hour. The blood is then tested for diabetes, which many women develop while they are pregnant. Especially when they start out overweight, like me. My OB said results should be back within a week.
So, I go check in for this test...hand over my insurance cards and sign on the dotted line. The technician asks me what type of solution do I want.
Me: "What are my options?"
Him: "We have a orange cola-like drink and one that is a bit like Sprite."
Me (totally thinking he would be no help at all): "Well, have YOU tasted them?"
Him: "Yes, they make us try it."
Me: "Ok, what's your recommendation, then?" like he is some type of sommelier.
Him: "Personally, I like the Sprite one."
I was waiting for him to tell me it should be optimally paired with a fish or fowl selection, probably because I had been fasting for the last 12 hours and Lucy was getting cranky (aka kicking the crap out of me from the inside). He kindly served me my six ounces of liquid sugar in a dixie cup. (What? No wine glass?)
I drank the Sprite-like solution at a full gulp (remember, hadn't eaten in 12 hours). I think it tasted like Sprite, but was a little more...viscous. I proceeded to fiddle with my iPod for an hour killing time and at the end of my wait gave my required pint of blood. (Ok, I'm being a little over dramatic, it was just two vials.)What I didn't realize was what the second vial of blood was for. Didn't really care, just wanted to eat some darn breakfast already!
This afternoon my OB called with my results. Apparently, they tell you a week so you can be better blindsided when the results come back early. The good news is that I do not have Gestational Diabetes. Hooray!
The bad news is...I'm anemic. I guess I should have listened to Hubby, huh? Now I have to take iron supplements (read: constant constipation). Just when I thought I was going to avoid the butt grapes....
7.30.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ugh, sorry to hear about the anemia, i was too when i first got out of surgery and i was taking 23mg of iron 3x a day for a week before I said screw that - constipation wasn't even enough of a word to describe what I felt like, compounded by the surgery and lack of fiber. i had my blood checked at 30 days and again at 60 days and i'm fine now, no more iron after 30 days. i hope yours goes away after the beeebeee comes too!!
Post a Comment