My "real" boss returned from Maternity Leave the Tuesday after Labor Day. I had a convo with her about the option that the doc is giving me to stop working. Told her I'd picked October 1st as my effective date. No less than two days later, the ball was definitely in motion. Three days later, the contractor who will be filling in for me was identified.
When I started this job 15 months ago, there had been a contractor filling in while they went through their 6+ month hiring process (and my 8+ job interviews ... yes 8+ interviews for THIS JOB). He sort of trained me, although I got to spend a couple of weeks on the mainland working at different offices and doing the orientation thing. I was underwhelmed with him as a IT person, to be honest, but he got the job done during the interim. Ok, he got about 25% of the job done. He didn't get access to a lot of things so he was doing the bare minimum.
During the conversation with my boss, I mentioned that this guy might still be out there, doing temp jobs and contract work. I had serious reservations that he had found full time employment over a year later, because honestly, I wouldn't find him employable as a permanent IT person. Not saying I'm hot sh!t...but compared to me (and my IT counterparts) he's less than stellar.
Whaddaya know? She contacted the staffing company and lo and behold, he's available. Imagine that. So, next Monday he's coming in to start our two week training/turnover. I don't think he has any idea what he's getting himself into. They gave him just enough information to get by last time. This time, he's has to BE me...with access to databases and other resources he didn't have before. With more responsibility and expectations than before. Lord help me. Or maybe, Lord help him.
I hear he's been trying to find a gig similar to this one for awhile. As I remember it, he actually applied for the job, but either applied too late or they just said that to not hurt his feelings. We'll see how tasty he thinks this job is after he has to really do it himself.
Today I saw the OB and before I could bring it up she asked if I had made a decision about work. I handed her the paperwork and asked her to make it effective Oct. 1. I called the STD people today and opened the claim. This is really going to happen. Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I think I found one of the best companies to be pregnant at -other than one in Canada or Australia, where they give you 12+ months off for maternity leave.
I'm so tired and worn out though. Really looking forward to some rest before my entire life changes forever.
9.12.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i'm very proud of you :)
Post a Comment